Simulating a compressed EVA pad

Hello,

I am a beginner of FEA. I am trying to simulating a compressed EVA cylinder.

The EVA was purchased from grocery shop. It is a cylinder of outer diameter 30 mm and height 9.6 mm. It weights 0.78 g. I checked it with a Durometer Shore A meter. The average value is 28. I used the conversion give in this link https://3dvision.com/blog/entry/2011/07/14/convert-durometer-to-youngs-modulus.html to obtain Young's modulus of 1.0179 MPa. Poisson's ration is assumed 0.4.

The EVA pad was compressed by a force meter which was mounted to z-axis of a CNC machine. The meter had a circular metal adapter attached. Diameter of it is nearly 30 mm. When the EVA was compressed for 1 mm, the meter showed a peak value of 39.4 N. I want to use this experiment to verify the simulation.

I created the model by using plate mesh and extrude tools. I added frictionless support and force (39.4 N) for constraints/loads.

Am I doing things both modelling and experiment correctly?

Displacement in Z converged to ~0.44 mm. I can't figure out where I did wrong for not getting a closer value.

Thanks for reading. Please give me some hints.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Hi Suktan,

I am not very expert at this, but I can give you some suggestions for now, and later you will get replies from the real experts.

I have recently been trying to simulate compression of an O-ring.
    http://mecway.com/forum/discussion/418/compressible-o-ring-with-contact-surfaces#latest

The first thing that was suggested to me was to define the elastomer as a hyperelastic material. I think this might be appropriate for you with such low modulus. You will need to have CCX software installed (now bundled with Mecway, I think, but also available elsewhere) and select this as your solver in the analysis dialogue. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that I think, for your analysis, as Mecway should take care of dealing with CCX. With the Neo-Hookean option (as I used), instead of Young's and Poisson you define C10 and D1 parameters, which are defined here (downlaods a document).

I remember seeing different formulae for the Shore to Youngs conversion, so there might be some uncertainty there. Trying different assumptions for Poisson might help, I know it is very difficult to find listed values.

Also, you might try a more refined mesh, though this might make no difference other than slowing down the solving. If solving time becomes a problem, you could reduce node numbers by taking a quarter slice of your model, and imposing frictionless support on the 'cut' surfaces, so it still behaves like a full disc. If you remesh with the concentric circle option you could make the slice thinner.

I hope this makes sense, and you will definitely get more authoritative advice from the other guys, but I have had so much help on here before that I am happy to make an attempt.
  • edited May 2017
    For EVA I would choose hyperfoam material, is not available directly from Mecway´s interface, but you can easily setup by means of CCX custom cards. Now stiffness of foams will depend on material and density, so you must perform a kind of material calibration to find the coefficient of your own material. As you have a way to measure load/deflection, my suggestion is to build a curve up to 60~70% of height of the sample, and then start to play with the material coefficients until you find an acceptable agreement.

Regards
  • Thank you, Dave and Sergio. Very useful hints!

I will try CCX for hyperelastic.

Regarding conversion from Shore A to Young's modulus, Wikipedia shows three equations. For Shore A 28, I have 1.0512 MPa, 0.633 MPa and 1.0416 MPa. The middle is nearly 50 % less. What do you think?
  • True is as a rubber FEA part analyst for years, I never use this kind of coarse aproximation for rubber, I always use hyperelastic with specific material coefficients. I have told to use such a coarse representation of the rubber only in case that is needed to include in an assembly and the exact rubber behavieur is not requested, only as a means of translate or apply loads on some metalic components.

I'm not sure that you can charaterize accuratly a foam with Shore A hardness, have worked on some poliurethane foams and they don't reffer to Shore but static load deflection of the part itself.

Regards.
  • Thanks a again, Sergio!

It seems that we better get detailed specs from supplier or test the rubber material by load deflection or tensile test. Shore is not reliable. Correct?

Sorry, my background is EE. A newbie in this area.
  • I came across a page of google book "Physical Testing of Rubber". Although my compression test is not perfect, I think the equation is still useful for me to estimate the Young's modulus (E) in a different way. Well my sample is EVA disc instead of a real rubber. In my case, I have F = 40 N, A = 706.86 mm^2 and Lambda = 0.8958. E is obtained as 0.48453 MPa.

I used this value in the FEA. Z displacement was 0.9245 mm. It is not too far from the measured (or setting) 1 mm. Do you see anything wrong here about estimating E and using it in FEA?

Thank you.
  • What's the aim of your simulation? All depend on that, if you need an rough estimation of deformation, then maybe is enough. If you need to predict stresses, or durability I suggest you go further with more complex material modeling.

Regards
  • Hi Sergio,

I currently aim for deformation estimation. I wan to learn some basics of FEA and modelling from this exercise. Since I can do simple compression test as stated, FEA result can be verified. I can then know whether I made something wrong or not.

My next step is to estimate deformation of rubber roll-surround used in loudspeaker drivers. There are some samples readily for load vs deflection (or displacement) measurement. I will keep the deflection small (linear assumption holds). Again, I will use measured data for verification.

Cheers