Nonlinear Static 3D with gravity loading: can't figure out how to output Velocity of Kinetic Energy.

What am I missing or forgetting?

Comments

• The time in nonlinear static analysis is only a pseudo-time which is used for counting but doesn't correspond to actual seconds. So the concepts of velocity and kinetic energy aren't really meaningful - the solution is the same regardless of how fast it deforms. You could interpret it as real time and use some post processing to calculate velocities from changes in displacement but I'm not sure if that would really be helpful, perhaps use dynamic response instead?

• Hi Victor, that makes complete sense, thank you.

What I'm actually trying to accomplish is a drop test of a plastic part. I typically use explicit analyses for this but looked and evidently the plasticity is not included with explicit yet. So it will have to be implicit, dynamic, with a velocity if I can get it to work.
  • I'm interested alsoin drop test cases, have you ever solved using CCX? Another option would be Impact (that is open source), but is not integrated with Mecway.
  • Impact looks interesting but hasn't been updated in a few years. Also I'm unsure if it could handle a large model. CCX Velocity looks promising in a dynamic analysis.
  • Yea, I thought the same on impact. Nice solver but looks abandoned. Sad thing.
  • Minus an Explicit analysis tool for personal use, and because I can easily do a nonlinear body on another body with an acceleration (nonlinear 3D), I am searching for an equivalent acceleration to match the strains from a drop impact. I came across this:

https://www.endevco.com/news/archivednews/2009/2009_02/tp321.pdf

At work I can use Ansys Explicit STR to test to see if what I'm wanting to do is valid.

Maybe I'm not smart enough to see why this wouldn't work but it will be fun anyway. If it works I'll let you know.
  • In teh CCX set of samples there is a test of a falling ball if you want to try.
  • Sergio, have you got that to run? I'm having issues with it.

Also, is there a way to prevent Mecway from including any "Analysis" data from showing up in the CCX input file? This way I could run CCX examples with minimal modification. As it is now, or at least that I'm seeing, Mecway will always put in the Analysis data to the input file, therefore clashing with the CCX Analysis input data. Make sense?
  • edited June 2016
    Scott, in order to finish the calculus you must edit the step time duration to 1.

*dynamic
    0.001, 1., 0.000000001 , 0.002

also you must add a card to output result as well:

*NODE FILE,GLOBAL=YES
    U,RF
    *EL FILE
    S,E

There is no way to prevent Mecway to include his data as far as I know. There are several cards that are not implemented (yet?), so in this case I preffer to run using the command line or Scite menu and just open the results file (.frd) in Mecway. What you can do is just leave the nodes and elements sections on the .inp file and add the boundary conditions on the Mecway's GUI. Be aware that Mecway will interpret resulsts files as if they were in N meters and in this case is N mm, so stress and displacements values are with the wrong unit.

According to the input file, material is Gummi (rubber), but is modeled as a very soft elastic material. I will try to run with an hyperelastic definition to see if we can see more deformation on the ball, because now I can't see any :-) just movement.

Another thing weird is that in the third impact it has more stress than in the first, I would say that the first would be the worst case. Could it be that due to the time increment we are not capturing exactly the moment when it makes contact (at least the first impact)?

• Ah ok.. cool Sergio! Yeah there's no way the stress is more on the last hit. There's some issues there for sure but at least it's something to work with and get started. I probably won't get back to it tonight but I'll make progress in the coming days and let you know how it's going. Be nice to get this nailed down. Btw I'll also solve this with Explicit STR (Ansys' Explicit software which I have a lot of time with) at my work to have something to compare to. I'll send you that result.
  • edited June 2016
    I got this running, but had to make an additional modification, see highlighted text in image. Strangely, my VM stress at node 122 is different from yours, having the greatest value on the first bump, but much less in magnitude overall.
  • By the way I can't view the 3 vid's you posted.
  • Check it now. I have received the ball example with the node to surface, from the last version from bconvergence
  • Hi Scott, have you made some advance in the impact problems? I found the error of my results for the ball example (bad CCX calling) and then make a simple model of a cell phone falling, have running but still there are things that I don't have clear.

For example, why in the ball example they add a initial velocity in horizontal direction and not in vertical as normally done? What about dumping?

Regards
  • Hi Sergio, the horizontal-directed initial velocity is just so they can demonstrate the bouncing along the base, so it's not a simple free-fall drop test.

Whenever I analyze drop tests, my part is modelled already touching the base (at the beginning of the analysis, or in other words at time=0), and then the initial velocity on the part is an easy calc based on drop height.

The only way I was able to make this work was if my contact was bonded, which of course is unacceptable for this type of problem.

But this type of problem really requires explicit, but evidently CCX cannot have plasticity in an explicit analysis just yet. This is why I was searching hi and lo for a free explicit solver that can handle plasticity. But no luck.

Sorry for the bad news.

Regards,
    Scott
  • Scott, you should look for Code_Aster, guess that they have explicit implemented (at least have seem several impact test done with him).
  • edited July 2016
    Thank you Sergio for the tip. I did have Code Aster for a little while. It's difficult to get any help for that code, however.

Luckily I get to use Explicit STR from Ansys at my workplace. I work for Husqvarna btw. If one can afford it, I definitely recommend it, it's extremely easy to use and very powerful.

Unfortunately, inherent with any explicit solution is potentially long run times, so running on many cores is critical. Ansys requires a separate licence purchase for being able to do this. They call it their 'HPC licence'. This can get pretty expensive though depending on how many cores you want to have access to.

If I had unlimited cash that's definitely what I'd use for a personal business. I've used it 100's of times and it's never let me down. But I don't have a personal business and I doubt I will anytime soon. I just like to play around with these free or low-cost tools to mainly see what they can do and what their limitations are.
  • We are in the same situation, I had Abaqus an NX Nastran in the past, but now the licences had been cut.