Mecway vs. the Mainstream

Hi everyone,

I've been having a great time using the free version of Mecway for simple problems and to help me revise for my third year university FEA/Structural Mechanics exam.

I'm just wondering if anybody has done a side by side comparison of results and things like final graphics generation for reports with the mainstream tools like Ansys Structural/Abaqus and so on?

I'm just thinking about something that I can show future employers or if I do some consultancy projects (with the paid version, of course) something to show clients to put their mind at rest about Mecway's legitimacy.

I have no doubts myself, but am wondering if something like this would be useful as it is the underdog and people do love a 'brand'...?

Through my university I currently have access to academic versions of Solidworks Simulation, Ansys Workbench, Abaqus, and perhaps others.

I'm willing to put something together over the summer if anyone feels it would be beneficial, I can't imagine too many users of Mecway also have access to licenses for the other suites, I could be wrong.

What do you guys/gals reckon? What could such a comparitive report include?

Comments

• You could build your own comparative studies following NAFEMS benchmarks.

Abaqus documentation contains a large number of Benchmarks and you could reproduce them in Mecway. Some years ago I made some Benchmarks for CCX solver for linear elastic problems. I attach a file

Regards

• I been comparing Mecway vs Ansys on some simple schedule 40 pipe analysis.  200K elements and it compares very well.  I like Mecway better for what I do. 
  • I use ANSYS for work but for home, modeling experimental airplane fairing and such, it is similar in approach.  If I were a small business I would consider Mecway.   Steve Melton, Cincinnati OH
  • Hi TPM, in this thread I have posted some comparation between Abaqus and CCX-Mecway. The report is in Spanish, but the figures and results are easy to understand.