Custom Moments Help - Is it possible?

Hello,

First off - i'm excited to start using this software. I've gone through the manual and watched a bunch of youtube videos, played around with the 1,000 point trail and just purchased my student version.

I imagine it's going to be fun modeling the stuff around the house and at school.

Currently, I'm working on a senior design thesis project that requires the use of a combination of pre-engineered forms and fabricated steel to cast concrete and want to ensure deflections are <3/32 of an inch. 

What I think i've got covered:
1. My steel forms - i know the thickness, material, connections, etc. I can model this with Mecway

What I can't seem to figure out how to do:
1. Input custom moment criteria for a geometry file (specifically the two shapeless boxes in the middle of the form) - in this assignment those shapeless boxes are prefabricated forms and don't provide much information other than safe working loads and Ixx (7410 in4) and Iyy (39.6 in4).
- Is there a way I can input these properties without getting into the complexity of the forms themselves?

2. Is there a way I can provide a pressure gradient? Specifically start a hydrostatic pressure at 1500 lbs/SF at the bottom of the form and 0 #/SF at the top?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 1. I don't know how besides using a real shape and setting the geometry to achieve the Ixx and Iyy values you need.

2. Either

A) Use a pressure load with a formula for the linear function such as

-1500*y

if you want 1500 lbf/ft^2 at y=-1 ft and 0 lbf/ft^2 at y=0.

or

B) Use hydrostatic pressure if you know the density of the fluid causing the pressure or if the surface level of the fluid is part way up the structure.
  • Victor,

Thanks - sometimes you can;t see the forest through the trees!

This software is great!