Mecway on Mac OSX using VirtualBox

Hi,

I tried an unconventional install using VirtualBox (opensource) which allows for a virtual operating system. In my case this was Windows 7 (64bit) to run on a Mac OSX. I am glad to report that the install was flawless. However the program runs without graphical display of nodes or elements. I am posting it on your discussion board so that others might confirm my report. Unless this is a restriction of the DEMO version.

Comments

• That's an interesting idea J_Marc

There's no difference in the graphics between the demo and full versions.

Mecway uses DirectX 9. It looks like there are some complications with that in VirtualBox. Have you been through things like this?http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/windows7/win7tips19.html

You can get a bit information from Mecway using this method:
    1) Create a file called debug.txt in %programfiles(x86)%\Mecway\Mecway3 or wherever it's installed.
    2) In that file put the full path and filename of a log file for it to generate. Eg:
    C:\users\yourname\desktop\graphicslog.txt
    3) Run Mecway then look at the file. You can send me a copy to identify what the various numbers mean. It should contain something like:

ExecuteSystemMemory, TLVertexSystemMemory, TextureVideoMemory, DrawPrimTLVertex, CanRenderAfterFlip, DrawPrimitives2, DrawPrimitives2Extended, HWTransformAndLight, HWRasterization, PureDevice; 256; 16777215; 25756732; 25756732

If that list is much shorter, or HWTransformAndLight is missing, then probably some of the video card's features are not being made available by VirtualBox.

• Hi Victor,

I attached the graphiclogs.txt which did spit out a lot of errors. I believe you are right. I tried the above fix by turning on 2D & 3D graphics from the settings but it spits out another error: "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7 (64 bit).
    Failed to get a console object from the direct session (VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE)".

Saddly VirtualBox does not provide Guest Additions for Mac OS X at this time. Which mean that they are still working on a resolution.

If you did want to run Windows 7 on another version of windows this is the Directx fix:-
    http://www.howtogeek.com/124479/how-to-enable-3d-acceleration-and-use-windows-aero-in-virtualbox/
  • I did some research and VMware With Fusion 7 looks like an alternative with powerful 3D graphics and support for OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 graphics, it claims running highly demanding 3D applications like AutoCAD or SolidWorks a breeze.

If anyone tries this alternative with Mecway and is successful. Please let me know...