What'a happening with this non-linear analysis

I've been staring at this and can't figure out what I've done wrong (units, constraints, etc.)
Pushing on one end over a distance of .5 mm and then come back at the end of the analysis, and the piece in the middle should bend down. Things smear and nothing converges. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments

• Two things:

1) There are two meshes over the top of each other. Select the Default component which doesn't have any constraints and press delete to delete its elements.

2) The prescribed displacement is too aggressive. CCX reduces the time step size when it doesn't converge, and usually that would automatically find a small enough starting displacement, but in this case it seems to be too much for it and it gives up at around 9e-5 s. To solve that, reduce the (initial) time step size from 0.1 s to 0.01 s. Then it automatically reduces it way down to about 3e-5 s where it does manage to converge.
  • edited June 2017
    Mike, Victor,

I think Mike has specified displacement in m rather than mm...?

Edit: well I thought so, but when I changed it the solution has too small a displacement. Hmm.

• edited June 2017
    I see what happened. When I open the displacement dialogue, the units buttons are hidden for some reason. They show OK with formula selected, but are pushed out with table selected, though still just accessible.
  • Oh, thanks for spotting that bug DaveStupple! It'll be related to the DPI setting in Windows. I'll fix it for the next version.
  • Thanks guys!! Great input!!! Amazing what you miss when looking at something non-stop ;-)