UNV lenght unit

edited March 2017
Importing unv file I obtain dimensions in meters without options. Importing inp I can choose units, so I choose mm,
What's wrong?

Comments

• For now I solved scaling mesh under Salome
  • As far I remember by default unv units are meters, so in NX/I-DEAS we had a way to select the unit before exporting, but Salome doesn't have it. Maybe that's why Victor choose meters as default unit.

Regards
  • There are two possible things happening here:
    A) Is it just showing a different default choice, so that you can easily switch to mm to read them? or
    B) Is the physical meaning wrong, so that what should be 1 mm ends up as 1 m or 1000 mm?

For A), it might not be doing that but I can perhaps add it as a convenience.

For B), it should always be correct and if it's not, that's a bug. .unv files can have units specified in them. If the file has a length unit then Mecway uses that. If not, it asks you what it should be.

Could you please check the .unv file for a unit dataset which looks like this and is usually right near the start

1  SI: Meter (newton)         2
        1.0000000000000000E+0    1.0000000000000000E+0    1.0000000000000000E+0
        2.7314999999999998E+2

If that highlighted number is 1, it means meters, if it's 1000, it means mm. The text should also agree with it but Mecway ignores that. From what I've seen of Salome, it generates .unv files with meters. Perhaps it's incorrectly doing that even when you specify mm?

• I think that could be usefull to choose the lenght unit at the unv mesh import, like an option, the same thing for inp import.

In Salome I don't take care about unit system. For me 1 unit lenght  = 1 mm.

For example an improvement could be:

"Original unit meters: don't change - change to mm, inch, ft,...."

• I'm still not sure quite what's happening with Salome and whether it's a good idea to assume all .unv units are unreliable or not so I've added a persistent option in v7 beta 3 in Tools -> Labs -> Ignore units in .unv files which causes it to always prompt for the units as you suggested. The default behavior is still to use what's in the file or prompt if there are no units in the file.