Steel as an Elastic/Perfectly Plastic Material

Can anyone tell me the best way to model steel so that it behaves elastically to its yield point, then plastically beyond? I think it's possible using the Calculix solver and one of the nonlinear material types, but I can't figure out how they work exactly.

Comments

• You can use these settings:

Analysis type: Nonlinear Static 3D
    Solver: CCX
    Material: Mechanical type = Isotropic, plastic type = bilinear

Here's an example with a force that increases with time that causes elastic deformation initially, then plastic deformation towards the end.

liml
    liml
    Plastic.liml
  • Thanks for the help so quickly, Victor! I'll give it a try when I get back to the office tomorrow.
  • Got it. Works great, Victor!

Does anybody know where to find material info online to get the properties necessary for inputs, like tangent modulus?
  • Hi!
    Make attention because the first point under *PLASTIC card is the yield point and so the strain must be the true plastic strain.
    About material info on plastic field you can find several models. I use the models on attached pictures for European structural steels on CCX.
    For the Standards that I know (European Standards) plastic analysis refers to elastic-perfect pastic material model or bilinear model with strain hardening. For example EN 13445 (pressure vessels) admits plastic analysis for pressure components using bilinear material models (EN13445 Part 3 - Annex B).
    Make attention to yielding criterion and to flow rules on plastic analysis

TrueSTrueE.jpg
    820 x 496 - 92K
  • Thanks for the tip Andrea!
  • edited November 2017
    IN718 bolt bending in the thread. Elastic case and plastic case, 75F. True stress strain curve.

Bending bolts is not good.
    IN718 bolt 75F true stress strain.jpg
    806 x 494 - 58K
    Capture1.jpg
    654 x 380 - 51K
    Capture2.PNG
    972 x 516 - 496K
    Capture3.png
    941 x 540 - 542K