After a bit of help trying to stop my model moving

I have looked over a few of the drop test examples floating around on this web page/youtube etc. and tried to recreate a simply one myself. I'm using the V6 BETA at the moment, which seems to be running pretty good for me. My question is how do I get my pin (the part being dropped) to hit the surface of the floor? I have it travelling in a minus Z direction to 60mm. So it travels that 60mm and I have the impact area on the part. But realistically that wouldn't happen, it would stop at the surface. Trying it with a -70mm in Z, it again travels the 70mm, so really it's almost forcing itself into the floor.

If my maths is right it's travelling at the speed of gravity. (might have my maths wrong here!)

So if anyone could help me figure out how to make it stop that'd be great! :-)

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Look for the falling ball example in the bConverged CCX version (or this forum itself) Is the mother of all impact simulations on CCX. But don't put too much expectations on results, I don't feel is ready for production.
  • edited October 2016
    You must apply an acceleration (gravity) to the falling part, and you could also apply a initial speed as am initial condition. Look the Calculix 09 channel on youtube, he has uploaded a video of impact simulation this week.
  • ok thanks for the pointers, i'll check them out

Cheers

• edited October 2016
    1) Use a DYNAMIC step card
    2) Use ACCELERATION card to apply the movement of the part (don't remember well if the card name is that, check it)
    3) Use very very small time increment (so total time will be huge), so use big elements to play until you define your good boundary conditions
    4) Use very ver high contact stiffness, more than usual, otherwise will be there penetration. Big contact stiffness means more iterations to solve...more time!!!!