Repeated Use

I've been wondering, is there a way to replicate repeated use on a part. Say for example a simple clamp. So a flat bar, hole going through it where a stud and nut would be. 
Is there a way to replicate a force being applied over and over?

Comments

• Can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean having several of the same force on different parts of it, or different copies of the same bar? Or do you mean a force that turns on and off with time?

In the first case, not generally. If the force is applied to the same shaped surface in each case, you can add the other faces to the same force load and multiply the value of the force by the number of instances.

In the second case, using nonlinear static or dynamic response, define the force with the table option and specify points on a piecewise linear function.

• Hi, yes i meant the same force in the same place being done over and over again. So say with a clamp like described. Say i wanted to use it 15 times a day, for 1 week. I use a torque setting so I apply the same force of clamping each time (in real life).
    That's the sort of thing I'm curious about, is there a way to figure that out?

Cheers
  • I see. You could use the table definition of force for that.

What phenomena are you looking for? Fatigue, plastic deformation or something else?

For plastic deformation, use CCX. For fatigue, neither solver does that directly. Instead you might use one of the fatigue calculation methods by hand calculation together with single load to find the stress.

• How do I get things working to check plastic deformation? Is it using CCX on it's own or can I do it through Mecway and selecting CCX as the solver?

Cheers

• Yes, you can use Mecway and just install CCX as another solver. Some the the more special features won't work with CCX but plasticity will appear as a material property.