After a bit of help..... I'm a noooooooooooooooooob!!!!

Good Afternoon,

I'm after a bit of help. FEA has always interested me, and I've recently been using a couple of the free applications out there, but wanted something a bit better. So here I am. Bought my license yesterday, and I'm getting a bit stuck. I've followed through the gravity tutorial etc, and tried a very basic stress on a type of clamp plate. What's happening is when I assign the material, this is after fetching it in, fitting the fixed planes and the force etc, it throws up an error about the material being 'none'. So when I check it's the Plate/Shell/membrane section. What is it? and how come I need to do it when there is a model there with material properties attached to it. I've attached an image if anyone could guide me a bit?

Comments

• Can you share the lml file or some screenshots of it? Look like you are triyng to solve a problem with shell elements and no thicknes was defined.

Regards
  • I've attached the actual plate. So I've brought in the igs file (this may be the issue) also tried it with a .stp file as well. And assigned my material, and I've got a red material in the tree now, and when you check the 'what's wrong' I get

'The geometric material type 'none' is not allowed.

So when I go back into the material tabs the first tab 'Geometric' everything is greyed out but the Plate/shell/membrane radio button

Cheers

• Hello UGMENTALCASE and welcome to Mecway

What's happening here is as Sergio guessed. There's no thickness on the shell elements. However, for this model you probably don't want to use shell elements but solid elements. For that, you'll need to import the geometry as STEP, rather than IGES because the mesher in Mecway isn't very good with IGES files and can't make a solid mesh from them.

Although the mesh appears to be solid, it's actually a hollow box with nothing inside, so setting a thickness as you showed in the first post might prevent the error message but will lead to wrong results. To see that it's hollow, adjust the cutting plane slider at the right of the toolbar.

• The problem is that you are meshing only the outside faces of a solid part. Try to import step and do the mesh with second order tetra elements.

• Awesome thanks guys, I'll export stp from now on.

Thanks again for your time