Wish List Extended

edited July 2014
As mentioned elsewhere Mecway's goal is to be intuitive enough not to require a manual, hence I would like to add some suggestions for upcoming releases:

1. Tools Menu : total mass, total of discrete masses
2. On node co ord summary show mass on node
3. Tools Menu : sum of Fx, Fy, Fz, including Pressures on Areas (i understand that F(t) or P(t) could only be show at one particular time)

Although it is documented in the manual that a mass is distributed over the selected of nodes, it is not that obvious on screen or by sifting thru the liml file and can only be worked out by running a quick gravity Static analyses and checking Reactions. Hence a simple summary tool would be handy.

The same goes for Total Fx,Fy and Fz. For example this would be handy to quickly check total wind loads applied to a structure before running a calc.

4. Limit dynamic solver calcs to only a node of interest (or Name Selections of interest).
It appears that every node on the structure has output data and this makes the output huge (and slow on my box). I am aware that you can tick a named selection and output a csv, however the solver still solves for all and this bulks up the liml file too. As Mecway doesnt have a Steady State solver i need to run lengthy variable force inputs and the outputs are also long to get past the transient response. Rather than use decimation, etc is it possible to only solve and produce data for the node/s of interest?

Comments

• Hello FEMnewb. Thanks for the suggestions and helping to improve Mecway.

The way loads are distributed over nodes is consistent although it's different to some more classical FEA programs which have them independently attached to each node. For example a single "force" of 3N means a total force of 3N no matter how many faces or nodes it's distributed over. Similarly, a single "mass" of 3kg means there's only 3kg added to the model. It would be misleading if the outline tree showed 3kg but the solver saw 30kg. On the other hand, this behavior isn't explicitly shown so I understand the problem of not being sure and agree that it needs more feedback to show what's happening.

Regarding 1,2 and 3. I'll try to find a way that makes it clear what the mass is. Adding new features is often a difficult trade-off. If it's too specialized then it adds some inconvenience to all users who see it, while being hard to find for those few who need it. I wonder if your option 3 would be sufficient by itself? You could use it to check the total of point masses by adding gravity, as well as finding weight and other loads.

4. I see the value in this. I'll add it to the list but as with all non-trivial suggestions, can't promise.