Blurry on 1920x1080 screen

VMHVMH
edited December 2015
Victor,
I just purchased a new Dell Precision 7510 (Intel i7-6820HQ and Quadro M1000M).

I checked the graphics and screen drivers and they were up to date. For some reason, Mecway is blurry. I tried scaling at 100%, 125% and 150%. Fonts are too small at 100% so they would not be good for me. I prefer the 150% scaling to see better on a 15" laptop screen though but everything is so blurry. This is also true when I installed Mecway on a 4k screen being scaled at 250%. Everything in Mecway is blurry (not as clear and sharp)

Screenshots are attached. Any comments? Thanks

Comments

• Here's a likely fix from http://superuser.com/questions/947391/windows-10-font-blurry-125-scaling

1) Right-click on the program icon (not the shortcut) and choose properties.
    2) Click the "Compatibility" tab.
    3) Check the box labeled "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

Hopefully it will then let Mecway scale itself instead of doing pixel-scaling which seems to be what you're getting now.
  • Hi, nice portable workstation, I use to have DELL Precision machines and they have very good hardware. By the way, you can set the environment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS=4 or whatever to increase the number of processors available to CCX.

Regards.
  • VMHVMH
    edited December 2015
    Victor, thanks! It works great (see attachment).

Sergio, have you able to set the environment variable in Mecway? Can you show me how? Thanks. I was reading this: http://www.bconverged.com/calculix/doc/ccx/html/node3.html

• VMH, to set this variable you need to go to My PC, then Advanced Configuration, and then Environment Variables (sorry, my Windows is in Spanish so I'm not sure if they are the exactly words in English). See the picture attached

• Thanks Sergio, my laptop has 8 threads so I put value of 8 (see attached screenshot). Nice!

There's no total run-time in ccx so I'm not sure how much faster is it now.
  • Yes, that run-time would be great, also keeping a file with that log.

For big problems and long runs sometimes I would set to 7 in order to have one for doing something else with the computer.
  • VMHVMH
    edited December 2015
    I did a few tests to see the run-time improvement using multi-threads in CalculiX CCX and found there were little differences for the test example I used (attached).

Also attached is the results of the tests using 2nd and 6th Generation Intel i7 processors. I used a stopwatch so there are +/- few seconds errors.
  • What a big improvement on the new processors! I'm working with no lineal simulations (big deformation, contacts and hyperelastic materials) including several load steps... half hour on my core i5 with 4 cores!!!!
  • By the way, why the beam is deformed prior to loading???
  • VMHVMH
    edited December 2015
    I transferred the buckling mode displacements to use as the initial imperfection for the nonlinear buckling analysis. The displacements used in the model were alot and unreal. It was just a test.

If you would like me to run your model on this new processor to see if there any improvement, send me the model if they are not to big. I'm assuming you are using Mecway and CCX. I'll keep the model confidential and delete it after the run.
  • VMHVMH
    edited December 2015
  • VMHVMH
    edited December 2015
    Attached include the results of another test case using linear static analysis.

I'm curious if SSD would improve the runtime though.
  • Surely sólo improve, writing the matrix to disk take time. Regards!
  • I think the reason for not seeing anymore improvement in CCX runtime using 4 threads vs 8 threads is because at 4 threads my 8GB RAM is at 97% unitlization during the CCX run. I think I need more memory to make use of the 8 threads (RAM bottleneck)?
  • I guess although Intel CPU has 8 threads but only 4 actual core, so 4 to 8 thread will not improve much. I try ANSYS running before it also has similar results.