simulating a bolt tension using different teperature

I was trieing to simulat a pretensioned bolt connention using different temperatures on nodes.

see attached model.

Idea is to give a lower temeratur to the nodes of the bolt
and say room temperature to the other parts.

I found a Way to set node temperatures, but is it possible to set the other parts to a reference temperature with Initial conditions for ccx...

ccx solver stopped with message

*INFO reading *STEP: nonlinear geometric

effects are turned on

*ERROR reading *TEMPERATURE: a *TEMPERATURE
card is detected but no thermal
*INITIAL CONDITIONS are given

Could anyone give some advice

regards

Comments

• The red item in the outline tree indicates an error. Right click it, and What's wrong to see the error message, which say to add a thermal stress "load". In there, you set the reference temperature (I guess 0 K) and all the other nodes without a temperature get treated as having the reference temperature so they won't expand or contract.

It's usually easier to use the temperature load instead of node temperature, since it can be applied to element selections and you can change a single value instead of many. But both do the same thing in this case so it's perfectly OK to leave it. Node temperature is meant for an arbitrary non-uniform temperature field that's different on each node.
  • Thank you for answering Victor,
    i can follow your advice

now i saw, that i can choose all nodes if i use the selction mode "nodes" and then drawing a squar on the screen around the bolt. After that I can apply a "New Temperature". This I can do for the other parts too...

Finally I found how to add the thermal stress "load". And how and where in Mecway I can enter the reference temperature.
    But i found now that when I select all elements by drawing a square around the bolt that not all elements are selected see pic_1 and pic_2.
    Is that normal ?
  • Is a normal behaviour. What you can do is first select all the nodes as you say, and then change the selector to elements. Or select the elements directly by the components name on the tree.
  • Thank you

so simple, but you have to know :-)