Applying Moments to line 3 beam using ccx and nonlinear 3d dynamic

Greetings
Its probably too late here but I cant get this model to run. What am I missing? Every time I add a moment to a node on the shaft on the x-axis to rotate the shaft, the software fails to find a solution.

Comments

• I'll look again later but you might need to use a force couple on an additional element instead. Force on the wheel works.
  • edited October 2017
    I'm not sure why this happened but adding a dummy element with zero density to the node with the moment makes it solve.

I also turned on automatic time stepping which helps it get further into the solution but it only rotates about 45 degrees.
  • Thanks Victor

That is very wierd? Do u think that this is a ccx bug/peculiarity?

Maybe the arm you added gives the moment something to push on:)

Some searching of the Calculix ccx info on beam elements:

http://web.mit.edu/calculix_v2.7/CalculiX/ccx_2.7/doc/ccx/node53.html

About a page into this link they talk about knots:
    "In addition, a knot is also generated if

-a rotational degree of freedom in the node is constrained through a SPC or MPC. In this case, the knot introduces the necessary rotational degrees of freedom.

-a bending moment or torque is defined in the nodes. Here too, the rigid body introduces the necessary rotational degrees of freedom."

Just a guess - is it possible that this has something to do with it?

I did get it to run to completion by using auto timestep with 100,000 steps. Took about 5mins. I also used a gentler torque ramp

Thanks again.

Regards
  • I think you're probably onto it with the knots. I don't understand them well enough to say though. Generally, all the 6-dof elements in CCX are a bit flimsy and it sometimes fails in surprising ways. I've seen the geometry of connections between elements determine success or failure of the solver on shells too.
  • Victor,
    Thanks for that. FEA is an art often it seems!

Cheers