Are resulting stresses in global or element coordinate system; especially Line3 element?

It appears to be global. If so, how determine the stresses along the Line3 coordinate system (varies for non-linear, large deflection analysis) coordinate system especially? Is it possible to output the Line3 loads in terms axial, bending moment, torsion and shear loads?

Comments

• You can use the SECTION FORCES parameter on the *EL FILE card. To do this in Mecway, under CCX in the outline tree, add a custom step contents containing:

*EL FILE,OUTPUT=2D,SECTION FORCES
    S

Then the stress components in the solution have different meanings from their names according to this table from the CCX manual:
    • xx: Shear force in 1-direction
    • yy: Shear force in 2-direction
    • zz: Normal force
    • xy: Moment about the 1-direction
    • xz: Moment about the 2-direction
    • yz: Torque

I'm not sure if these are in a coordinate system that rotates with the beam at large displacements so you might need to test that.
  • edited February 13
    I tried (minus the quotes):
    1. "*EL FILE,OUTPUT=2D,SECTION FORCES
      S"

2. "*EL FILE,OUTPUT=2D,SECTION FORCES"

3. "*EL FILE,OUTPUT=3D,SECTION FORCES"

4. "*EL FILE,SECTION FORCES"
    Each crashed the solver. If I suppress the custom model definition it calculates fine except I don't get forces. Please understand that I am trying very hard to figure this out including searching the CCX manual and am not trying to have you fix all my problems except now I am stumped. I have taken the liberty of emailing you my file. It is only a validation so there are no concerns about being proprietary data.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • edited February 12

Nevermind