MECWAY MODEL RESULT DISPLAY SLOW

When I get the results of one nozzle with 0.5M elements on Intel 4790 16G machine, the rotation of model is slow. can it be improved, I use PrepoMax to get the results the rotation of model is better. it looks Prepomax use VTK engine to model it. also I suggest to have Max -Min label on result model although it is not very useful.
Thanks!

Comments

• Try hiding the element edges, or better, improving your mesh to don't have such quantity of elements for a simple model. Anyway, managing such big models can be tricky in Mecway, a little better on Prepomax, but nothing is perfect.

Worst thing is that sometimes for insanne big models (normally due to lot of increments in no lineal cases), I can postrocess (suffering a little), then save the model, but then when I try to reopen it... no way, and this can be really waste of time.
  • thanks! use a better graphic card will help to improve this sticky operation much? if yes, I will have to invest hardware again.
  • This kind of geometry with thin parts with lots of exterior surface is especially bad because it has more faces to render compared to the number of elements.

As Sergio said, turning off element edges can help a fair bit, so can turning off "Show model edges". With both together, you should see a big speedup.

A better graphics card won't help because it's CPU/memory bound. I hope to improve this in future.

Can you say a bit more about why you want the max/min labels? My concern with them is that they usually occur at stress concentrations which are false and not interesting, so you'll still have to hunt for the max/min important stress anyway.
  • Today I did some test to see the graphics capacities of Mecway, so I took a medium size mesh and with the refine command divide by two the size and run again the calculus to see the differences in results, and Mecway performance. First I notice a big change in stress with almost the same displacement, but that should not be the case, main stressed were the same but there were some really small (invisible) hot spot somewhere. I though a little and then realize that the refine command didn't expand the group of nodes, so I complete it and then have almost the same stress.

In that case having the max/min tags would help a lot to quick identify this mistake.

By the way, can the refine command update the group of nodes in the same way as the surface groups?

Regards!
  • I see. That makes a lot of sense. Yes, I'll also get the refine x2 to update the nodes. This is a common problem.
  • victor, I use the max/min button in Ansys and Solidworks simulation before, it is some time not the result I want. if we can label a part/surface group we interested,and mark max/min label that will be much useful.
  • Guess that they are like the selection tools, at the begining one can be reluctant to adopt it, but after we found more and more oportunities to use it. In most cases an experienced user will not need it, but sometimes is good to have a quick tool to find the peak value with max/min tags (no matter if is unrealistic), in the same case then he will need to look in other areas and click several nodes to get the real max value, but then a feature to define a box area and find the max local would be very welcome.
  • local max/min with a button sounds like a good idea. I should get that in for version 8.
  • Victor,much appreciated your taking this.although I am working in multi-national company for many years. I also believe mecway has bright future in Internet driven engineering bussiness with continous improvement, thanks! Kelvin
  • Cheers and no problem
  • Great thread. I have an issue where the max stress is shown on the scale but no matter how I slice and dice, I can't find the max values the model says are there. I can make a decision as to whether they are artifactual or not, but I need to find them on the model first ;-) Thanks!!

• edited June 2017
    A funny workaround to find a very high maximum is with the deformed view. Change one of the field variables from displacement to the stress value and set the others to (none), then the maximum will stick out like a spike. You also have to tweak the scale factor by hand.

Be aware that the max/min values on the color key might be somewhere in the middle of an element face, not at a node.
  • Very cool trick!! I will give it a try - Thanks!