Initial temperature as a function of position (x)

Hello!

I am trying to calculate the heat transfer in a plate and the initial temperature has to be a function of position. I tried to set the initial temperature as "1.72*x+300" and it is not allowed by the software. I would like to know if what I want is possible and if yes, how could I do it. 

Thank you !

Comments

• Not currently with a formula, though this is something I expect to add in version 8. A couple of ways:

A) If it's a simple regular mesh, you could use multiple temperatures on layers of nodes.

B) Do a steady state thermal solve first to obtain a natural linear temperature gradient. Then transfer that into the initial conditions using Transfer temperatures from solution on the Initial Conditions context menu.

• Hello, I am trying to a similar constrain (albeit with heat flux as input, not temperature). Is there a way to add the values for each face (or node in the temperature case) without having to select each face and inputting the value one at a time (a table similar to the time dependent properties perhaps)? I have 100+ faces and the problem will only grow when I refine the mesh. Thank you for you help!
  • Perhaps you could use internal heat generation instead? That does allow a formula with position. You could extrude a thin layer of elements from the surface and apply the internal heat generation to those.
  • Thanks! That looks like a feasible workaround.