Labs: Output Strain on Solid Elements

edited April 2017
Does it works with CCX?
Because can be usefull. In fact I have all the times to modify inp file adding E.

PS About Reduced integration elements could be recommended to move the option on mesh window. This option is not "experimental" for CCX solver

Comments

• No, but I'll try to put CCX strain in for v7 final if it's simple.

The experimental part of reduced integration is that I don't know where to put it. I don't know where to put it because I don't know how it would be used. Maybe per component if it's needed for some kinds of materials (hyperelastic?) but not others, or per element so you can use full integration in regions of high stress on the surface. Perhaps also treat tet elements differently from quad/hex?

• Per component have some kind of logic, as normally one assume that all the volume has the same behaveaur. In the material maybe would be more usefull, imagine the case that one define a blank/template file with all the materials normally used, and then for those that need that behavieur is checked. In that case one can be sure that even if is forgetted, the right behavieur will be used for the material that need it.

Now as is impplemented, is very prone to be forgetted and used in the next analysis where it could be not necesary.

Regards.
  • Could you explain why different materials need it or not? It doesn't seem like it's just a function of material. For example, I've seen a recommendation not to use reduced integration on tet elements, and also not to use full integration on hex8 elements regardless of the material.
  • In my case I use it for hyperelastic and hyperfoam materials only, and always with first grade hexa elements. I'm not sure if wedges has this behavieur coded in CCX.
  • CCX doesn't has tet with reduced integration.

But the problem can be extended also to linear and quadratic elements. For example for contact problems with deformable bodies are generally recommended linear elements instead second order elements.(no linear Tet---too stiff)
    For near incompressible bodies or for large strain are generally recommended second order elements with reduced integration.

Maybe there is a problem that this kind of elements could be used improperly. For my opinion every command could be used improperly. For example "fixed support" could be used improperly as nodal force because they are approximation of the reality.

I'd like have a more simply mode to use RI elements on Mecway because some times I forget to check the flag under lab menu.

Sincerly is not a big problem but the natural place of this option is inside mesh windows

• Problem about to put the reduced integration option on mesh window (Meshing Parameter) is that if we work with orphan meshes (importated), there is no meshing parameter available.
  • Could be placed also near other functions under Mesh Tools. For example near "Change element shape" which runs also with orphan meshes.
    There is another aspect. Working with configuration if RIE is activated you will have for all studies RI elements. If you want run two studies, one with RIE and one without, is more natural have this like an option.
    At a moment is necessary:
    -flag RIE
    -Launch the solver
    -unflag RIE
    -prepare second study
    -launch the solver