Meshing help

Good morning all,

I'm trying to mesh something, which meshes perfectly fine in other software but it keeps failing here. I get the mesh started then it will crash like the meshing software has failed. Like I say other software meshes it fine, but I've also tried meshing it elsewhere and importing it and that fails too. I've attached the part, if someone could help me out? I'm trying a load of different meshing parameters but can't get it to work. I'm a little lost on the meshing parameters to be honest!

Comments

• The problem seems to be improperly connected edges around one side of the hole. Other software may be automatically healing those edges together.

To find the problem, make a surface mesh (Meshing parameters -> Surface mesh) which usually works successfully, then use View -> Open cracks to show disconnected edges.

You would need to fix it in the CAD program or use another mesher. What failed when you tried to import the mesh from another mesher? What file format did you use?

• edited October 2016
    For this part you can import it in Netgen (have tried with netgen 6.1) and using the IGS/STEP Geometry Doctor with the default option will heal the part. After you can export the geometry as stp and import in Mecway this healed file to mesh it.

I didn't have too much success with importing healed steps from Netgen in Mecway, but in this particular example is working good. Another option would be to mesh directly in Netgen (again using the Geometry Doctor) and export the mesh as .vol to import in Mecway.

The Geometry Doctor has saved me the day several times, is there a way to incorporate this feature in future releases?

Regards!
  • edited October 2016
    Some missed screenshots :-)
  • edited October 2016

Have found a very easy to solve the meshing inside Mecway itself:

1) Mesh using only surfaces (element size=3mm, lineal elements) and uncheck cuads elements (don't know if is exactly necesary)
    2) Check that there is some nodes unconected with View/Open Cracks. Exit that mode view
    3) Use Mesh Tools/Merge Nearby Nodes..., You should start with a very small tolerance and try if it works, otherwise increase and try again. I found that suitable a tolerance distance of 0.1mm for this case. This will conect the unconected nodes (check again with Open Cracks view)
    4) Use Mesh Tools/Automesh 3d... to create a 3d mesh based in a closed 2d mesh. I have used element size 3mm and lineal elements...and voilá! a beautifull 3D mesh from an unsewed geometry file :-) .After you can change to 2nd order using Mesh Tools/Change Element Shape.

With this way the drawback is that you loose the asociativity with the CAD faces, but using the paint selection tool you can easily select nodes/faces to apply boundary conditions.

• You guys are amazing!!!!!
  • You're welcome :-)